Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Holy Seed Germination, Batman!




Wow,  we talk about the Indiana heat and humidity being unbearable, but for some just-planted seeds,  it is perfect weather for germinating!   I planted flower seeds on Friday night, and here it is, Monday after supper, and I already have baby plants bursting through the soil!  I've never had anything germinate that fast!  Look for the little beauties on the bottom right of the box on the left. These are from a cheap packet of California Giant zinnias from WM, probably.   I'll update you later in the week on these seedlings.  I want people to know that growing seeds is not difficult.   Some soil, a container,  sunshine, moisture, and some seeds.   For most seeds, that's all it takes.   I have never lost the joy and thrill I experience when I see something I helped to grow go from a tiny seed to a full plant.  It's like magic!   




Also, on a FB page about Indiana native plants,  we've had a conversation about wild strawberries versus mock strawberries... I can't remember ever knowing about mock strawberries, but knew I had something small and strawberry-like growing out in my grass.

http://gypsyscribe.hubpages.com/hub/Wild-Strawberries-Versus-Mock-Strawberries

Mock strawberries have yellow flowers, the fruit is about the size of the end of my pinkie, the fruit sticks straight up into the air, and the seeds stick out from the fruit, they are not embedded in the skin. 

Do you have any of these in your yard?
                         

Speaking of strawberries, I HAD some in my new beds, but they have become one with my digestive system.  I had a wonderful patch for several years.  I picked pots full, but the last two miserable winters have wiped out most of my plants.  I've never been one to mulch  heavily in the winter, it never really bothered the patch, but from now on, I will.

Get out and enjoy some sunshine!  Remember January?

Dirt up!
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment